Google Glass update lets users keep track of World Cup scores
Google is also making it easier for users to share photographs and keep track of where they parked
IDG News Service - Google is getting on the soccer World Cup bandwagon with a Glass update that lets users keep track of the tournament.
Owners of the wearable computer will be able to follow the tournament closely by setting up notifications on Google Now, the company's personal assistant app. Updates about upcoming matches, matches in progress, finished matches and group standings will all be visible, Google said in a post on the Glass community website.
In addition, the update makes it easier to share photographs. Pictures taken with Glass will instantly show up on users' Android phone when they open the MyGlass app. They can then tap on the image and share it via applications such as Instagram, Facebook and VSCO.
The MyGlass app is used to configure and manage Glass devices. The app is only available for Android-based smartphones and tablets, but Google said it's working on an iOS version.
The update also lets users find their parking spot and get notifications when their packages ship or are delivered, again using Google Now. Users with the latest version of the MyGlass app will get a notification when the battery level drops below 20 percent.
Google has recently stepped up its Glass efforts. Last month the product became generally available for $1,500. Google has also hired fashion executive Ivy Ross to head the project and help the company overcome privacy fears and social awkwardness related to Glass.
The World Cup in Brazil starts on Thursday with the host nation playing Croatia.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts