Google Glass update lets users keep track of World Cup scores
Google is also making it easier for users to share photographs and keep track of where they parked
IDG News Service - Google is getting on the soccer World Cup bandwagon with a Glass update that lets users keep track of the tournament.
Owners of the wearable computer will be able to follow the tournament closely by setting up notifications on Google Now, the company's personal assistant app. Updates about upcoming matches, matches in progress, finished matches and group standings will all be visible, Google said in a post on the Glass community website.
In addition, the update makes it easier to share photographs. Pictures taken with Glass will instantly show up on users' Android phone when they open the MyGlass app. They can then tap on the image and share it via applications such as Instagram, Facebook and VSCO.
The MyGlass app is used to configure and manage Glass devices. The app is only available for Android-based smartphones and tablets, but Google said it's working on an iOS version.
The update also lets users find their parking spot and get notifications when their packages ship or are delivered, again using Google Now. Users with the latest version of the MyGlass app will get a notification when the battery level drops below 20 percent.
Google has recently stepped up its Glass efforts. Last month the product became generally available for $1,500. Google has also hired fashion executive Ivy Ross to head the project and help the company overcome privacy fears and social awkwardness related to Glass.
The World Cup in Brazil starts on Thursday with the host nation playing Croatia.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!