Intel plans to team up with WiTricity on wireless charging
The chip maker wants to integrate wireless charging tech into computing devices using by its chips
CareerJournal - Intel today announced an agreement that will allow it to integrate wireless charging technology into computing devices powered by its chips.
The wireless charging technology from WiTricity adheres to the Rezence specification, which was developed by the Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP). The specification has been adopted by some of the leading mobile chip makers, mobile phone manufacturers and other key industry players.
Both Intel and WiTricity are board members of the A4WP.
WiTricity's main competitors are companies such as Duracell, with its Powermat technology, as well as products that carry the Wireless Power Consortium's Qi certification.
The A4WP's Rezence near-field resonant technology allows simultaneous charging of multiple devices with differing power requirements, and 'spatial freedom' for additional virttical reach.
"We have overwhelming feedback from end users that they are frustrated with dealing with all the different wires and power adapters for their devices - phones, tablets and PCs," Sanjay Vora, Intel's general manager of user experience, said in a statement. "At Intel, we have a vision to eliminate all wires from all of our platforms. This agreement is a major step in the right direction."
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!