Amazon lets you switch from e-book reading to listening with just a tap
Free Kindle software update might keep prying eyes from reading over your shoulder
Computerworld - If you ever wanted to switch between reading an e-book and listening to it being read -- maybe by a famous actor or the author -- Amazon now has just the thing for you.
Amazon on Tuesday announced a free software update to both Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS that allows quick switching -- with just a tap -- between reading a Kindle e-book and listening to its companion audiobook from Audible.
Of course, you have to pay for the audio upgrade version, which runs from 99 cents to $3.99, with the top price going for the most popular bestellers in a series.
Professional narration is available for more than 45,000 Kindle books.
The update is designed to help avid readers never have to put down a favorite book, said Amazon Kindle Senior Vice President Russ Grandinetti. Avid readers can start reading at home, get in the car and tap a button to continue listening without losing their place.
Audible CEO Donald Katz said there are a growing number of Whispersync for Voice users who already switch back and forth between reading and listening, and the instant switching ability is expected to be popular.
The new version of the Kindle app is available in the App Store, Google Play and Appstore for Android. Amazon posted a Web page to describe the innovation, along with a cute video depicting a young woman reading a romance novel and then switching to the audio account to prevent another woman on her bus ride to work from reading over her shoulder.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts