Facebook to launch Slingshot, yet another photo messaging app
A new app focused on sharing everyday moments will launch soon, Facebook said
IDG News Service - Well, that was awkward: Facebook just did a Snapchat of its own, briefly releasing a rival disappearing-photo app and then pulling it.
The company said Monday that it would soon release a new app, called Slingshot, "to share everyday moments with lots of people at once." It put the app out on Apple's App Store briefly on Monday, but that was an accident, a Facebook spokesman said via email. The actual Slingshot app will be ready soon, Facebook said.
The app seems to be an attempt to take on both Snapchat and Instagram, which Facebook owns.
In a couple of ways, it seems Slingshot will work similarly to Snapchat, judging from screenshots that The Verge posted Monday, apparently taken from the App Store. Like Snapchat, Slingshot will let users apply captions to and draw on their photos. Also like Snapchat, it will make photos and videos disappear after a certain period of time.
Also, people will be able to swipe through the photos they receive from their friends. And it appears users will have to send a message back to a friend, or "sling a shot," before they can actually view an incoming message. This could be where the messaging component plays in, by encouraging more of a back-and-forth exchange within the app.
Snapchat has grown to become one of Facebook's most pesky competitors. Facebook reportedly offered some US$3 billion to buy the messaging app at some point last year, but Snapchat said no, thanks.
In 2012, Facebook launched Poke, an early clone of Snapchat. But that app never caught on like Snapchat did, and last month Facebook said it was killing Poke.
Slingshot seems to be Facebook's latest effort to provide a photo-oriented service that may resonate more with younger people who have become bored with Facebook's main service.
But mobile messaging is a crowded space. And not only does Slingshot seem to be competing with Snapchat, but Facebook's own description of Slingshot -- "sharing everyday moments with lots of people at once" -- makes it sound a lot like Instagram, another Facebook property.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!