Elon Musk to open up Supercharging patent designs
The Tesla CEO hopes to spur the development of supercharging stations
Computerworld - Hoping to spur an industry standard for recharging electric vehicles, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said he plans open up his patented designs for Supercharging stations.
Musk made the announcement about the Supercharging technology during the UK launch of Tesla's Model S electric vehicle (EV) on Sunday.
By allowing other automakers to use the Supercharging technology, Musk hopes to boost EV adoption.
He noted that for the technology to be rolled out, there would be some "cost sharing," according to target="new" href="http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/06/tesla-ceo-gets-emotional-over-nada-during-shareholder-meeting-s/">Autoblog.
Today's fast chargers operate at about 50kW and take about 40 to 45 minutes to recharge an EV battery. Musk claims the Supercharger stations cut that time in half by charging at 120kW. "This is something that allows you to make a brief stop at one of our Tesla Supercharging stations, charge a car very quickly and be on your way," he said during a 49-minute presentation to reporters and investors.
Musk also said the number of supercharging stations being deployed by Tesla continues to increase dramatically.
Telsa's 94 Supercharging stations now cover most of the metropolitan areas in the U.S., the company said. In a year, Musk expects Supercharging stations to be within reach of 98% of the U.S. and Canadian population. Superchargers are located near amenities like roadside diners, cafes and shopping centers.
The cost of the charging stations is built into the price of a Tesla car, so recharging is done for free.
"So by buying a Tesla, you'll essentially have free long distance travel throughout the country forever," Musk said in his presentation. "It's not just free now, it's free forever."
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!