SAP after Sapphire: A look ahead
There's plenty for customers to chew on following SAP's big user conference
IDG News Service - As software vendors tend to do during their big annual user conferences, SAP made a lot of promises to customers this week at Sapphire. The overarching theme was a desire to make SAP's software simpler and its customers' lives easier.
Like any promise, SAP's pledge will only be as good as the follow-through. Here's a look at the work that lies ahead, as well as some important conclusions drawn from Sapphire's content.
It's wait and see on Simple Suite
SAP used Sapphire to unveil Simple Finance, a new version of its core financials application that takes advantage of the Hana in-memory computing platform and uses a simplified data model. It plans to give other Business Suite modules the same treatment.
SAP will continue supporting other databases for the suite, such as Oracle. But co-founder Hasso Plattner made it clear in public remarks this week that suite customers who want the best new innovations should go the Simple route.
However, that will require an investment in Hana, which only a small percentage of SAP customers have bought so far, whether through direct purchases or as part of a subscription-based deployment of Simple Suite on SAP's Hana cloud.
It's also early days for Simple Suite. SAP, like many other vendors, has had delivery dates slip well past the original intent. It's not yet clear when SAP will be able to present customers with a fully baked Simple Suite for their consideration, giving competitors more time to lure them away.
SAP also needs to give customers good reasons to make the switch, according to one observer.
"For SAP, adopting Simple Finance enables it to cut down on the vast amount of code it's previously maintained," independent enterprise software analyst China Martens said via email Friday. "For an SAP customer, how do they translate all that into business benefits? That message is in there, but it needs to be the primary message in order to really ramp up adoption."
Sapphire was Bernd Leukert's first major appearance as development chief since he replaced Vishal Sikka, who launched Hana but abruptly left the company recently as part of a management shakeup.
Leukert, a veteran SAP employee, seemed more than prepared to take up Sikka's leadership mantle during Sapphire, speaking with poise and insight both in a keynote session and a press conference with media and analysts.
"There was a confidence with Bernd I was glad to see," said analyst Ray Wang, founder and chairman of Constellation Research.
Hana is growing up
Sikka was so enamored with Hana, he often referred to the software as his "little girl." Extending the metaphor, Sapphire showed that Hana is now more of a young adult, some three years after its general availability.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- On-Demand Webinar: Beyond the Enterprise App Store If you already have a few projects that are RED on your project timeline then join us so you can free up your...
One Storefront to Rule Them All
Take the load off managing mobile users with IT service request and delivery across all platforms!
Give your users the on-demand, enterprise app...
All Applications White Papers |