- View the full 2014 special report
- View and sort the Best Places
- No. 1 large: Quicken Loans
- No. 1 midsize: LinkedIn
- No. 1 small: Noah Consulting
- Slideshow: Best Places by the numbers
- Slideshow: The three best organizations
- Video: Tour the No. 1 winners
- Video: What employees want
- Search 21 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: Firms can't thrive when generations bicker
- How we chose the Best Places
- Nominate your organization for Best Places 2015
Best Places spotlight: VMware encourages tech workers to explore ideas
Camaraderie and a common vision inspire 'smart, passionate' tech workers to share experiences.
Computerworld - For Grant Nowell, it's the people that make VMware a great employer. "I work with smart, passionate individuals who share a common vision," he says, adding that the camaraderie gives him and his colleagues "energy to work through complex problems."
The software company's 650 IT staffers can expand their skills through innovative projects that often use VMware's own products, says Nowell, a senior manager for IT application operations. Workers frequently get to share those experiences with the company's customers, he says. "That really helps with our overall skills and career development."
VMware's beautiful campus in Palo Alto, Calif., excellent amenities (including a soccer field) and fun events like Friday "beer bashes" also contribute to the great company culture, Nowell says.
All of that is by intention, says CIO Tony Scott. "No one feels like they're a cog in the wheel," he says. "Here there's a strong sense that we all have a chance to make a difference." Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts