- View the full 2014 special report
- View and sort the Best Places
- No. 1 large: Quicken Loans
- No. 1 midsize: LinkedIn
- No. 1 small: Noah Consulting
- Slideshow: Best Places by the numbers
- Slideshow: The three best organizations
- Video: Tour the No. 1 winners
- Video: What employees want
- Search 21 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: Firms can't thrive when generations bicker
- How we chose the Best Places
- Nominate your organization for Best Places 2015
Best Places spotlight: VMware encourages tech workers to explore ideas
Camaraderie and a common vision inspire 'smart, passionate' tech workers to share experiences.
Computerworld - For Grant Nowell, it's the people that make VMware a great employer. "I work with smart, passionate individuals who share a common vision," he says, adding that the camaraderie gives him and his colleagues "energy to work through complex problems."
The software company's 650 IT staffers can expand their skills through innovative projects that often use VMware's own products, says Nowell, a senior manager for IT application operations. Workers frequently get to share those experiences with the company's customers, he says. "That really helps with our overall skills and career development."
VMware's beautiful campus in Palo Alto, Calif., excellent amenities (including a soccer field) and fun events like Friday "beer bashes" also contribute to the great company culture, Nowell says.
All of that is by intention, says CIO Tony Scott. "No one feels like they're a cog in the wheel," he says. "Here there's a strong sense that we all have a chance to make a difference." Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts