- View the full 2014 special report
- View and sort the Best Places
- No. 1 large: Quicken Loans
- No. 1 midsize: LinkedIn
- No. 1 small: Noah Consulting
- Slideshow: Best Places by the numbers
- Slideshow: The three best organizations
- Video: Tour the No. 1 winners
- Video: What employees want
- Search 21 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: Firms can't thrive when generations bicker
- How we chose the Best Places
- Nominate your organization for Best Places 2015
Best Places spotlight: VMware encourages tech workers to explore ideas
Camaraderie and a common vision inspire 'smart, passionate' tech workers to share experiences.
Computerworld - For Grant Nowell, it's the people that make VMware a great employer. "I work with smart, passionate individuals who share a common vision," he says, adding that the camaraderie gives him and his colleagues "energy to work through complex problems."
The software company's 650 IT staffers can expand their skills through innovative projects that often use VMware's own products, says Nowell, a senior manager for IT application operations. Workers frequently get to share those experiences with the company's customers, he says. "That really helps with our overall skills and career development."
VMware's beautiful campus in Palo Alto, Calif., excellent amenities (including a soccer field) and fun events like Friday "beer bashes" also contribute to the great company culture, Nowell says.
All of that is by intention, says CIO Tony Scott. "No one feels like they're a cog in the wheel," he says. "Here there's a strong sense that we all have a chance to make a difference." Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Management White Papers | Webcasts