Windows Server 2012 R2 finally arrives on Amazon's cloud
The company is also offering preconfigured images with SQL Server 2014
IDG News Service - Enterprises can now run Windows Server 2012 R2 on Amazon's cloud, taking advantage of features such as tiered storage. Companies can also combine the OS with SQL Server 2014.
Windows Server 2012 R2 was released by Microsoft in October last year. Organizations with virtual machines running on the platform in their data centers can move them to Amazon's cloud, using the company's VM Import tools.
Potential use cases include application hosting, website and Web-service hosting, data processing and media transcoding, according to Amazon.
The new images are available in 19 languages and include a set of paravirtualized drivers that have been certified by Microsoft for their server OS. Users can pick between different flavors, including Server Core, a low maintenance, minimal server installation, according to Amazon.
Tiered storage is one of the reasons CIOs should consider upgrading to Release 2, according to Amazon. The feature lets enterprises dynamically move chunks of data between different classes of storage, such as fast SSD and slower hard drives. The IT department can create a single virtual disk that spans both classes of storage and have Windows Server 2012 R2 keep the most frequently accessed data blocks on the SSDs, it said.
As part of this release, new Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard, Web and Express Edition images running on Windows Server 2012 R2 are available in localized versions for English, Japanese and Brazilian Portuguese.
Running Windows Server 2012 R2 on Amazon's cloud costs between US$0.02 to $9.348 per hour when paying on-demand prices. Prices for reserved and spot instances are lower. The OS combined with SQL Server 2014 Standard costs between $0.356 to $17.016 per hour.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Servers White Papers | Webcasts