Instagram loads up on editing effects in major update
10 new editing tools are coming to the app on iOS and Android
IDG News Service - Instagram has added a suite of new effects to its app in a move to win over users who might otherwise turn to alternative software for photo editing tools.
The company said Tuesday that it was bringing new, creative tools to its app on both iOS and Android, giving users the ability to adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and warmth. The updates are rolling out starting Tuesday, Instagram said.
Other than its signature filters, Instagram previously provided only a limited number of post-processing effects, including straightening, borders and blurring.
Now, in version 6.0 of the app, there are 10 new tools for improving the look of photos after they are taken. The new effects can be accessed through a new wrench icon that will appear after a filter is selected. Users can also now adjust the strength of the filter they select.
Facebook bought Instagram for about $1 billion in 2012. Since then the photo-sharing app has grown to be immensely popular, with 200 million monthly active users, according to Instagram.
While some of those other apps have photo-sharing functions, some users may have used them only to edit their photos, uploading the photos to Instagram for sharing. With Tuesday's update, Instagram could keep those types of users more engaged inside its own app, and possibly attract photographers who may have dismissed Instagram for being a little light on tools.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts