Oracle focuses on prepping databases as a service
The latest release of Oracle Enterprise Manager focuses on enabling database as a service
IDG News Service - As it preps Oracle Enterprise Manager to run private clouds, Oracle has released an update to the management software that offers the ability for organizations to offer production-ready databases as a service.
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c release 4 is the first version of the software to "offer enterprise-grade databases as a service with high availability and disaster recovery," said Dan Koloski, senior director of product management for the Oracle Enterprise Manager line of software. "We want our customers to consume their databases in an agile environment."
The new release also offers advancements in managing middleware and in access control.
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c is aimed at managing large deployments of hardware and software, both from Oracle and other vendors. With the Enterprise Manager 12c release in 2011, Oracle built in tools to deploy, meter, manage and optimize private clouds within the enterprise. The software provides an API (application programming interface)-based service catalogue that would allow an organization's business units to easily provision database, middleware and infrastructure services.
With the new release, the company has improved the process for deploying the Oracle 12C database through Oracle Enterprise Manager. The software can orchestrate the setup of the new database, and can roll back changes should the installation fail. The software can also diagnose problems and potential issues.
The company also offers a rapid start kit, which automates Oracle's best practices for setting up database services that can be provisioned by users. If an organization's IT department wants to provide such services, "we can give you the best knowledge about the optimal way of doing that setup," Koloski said.
The software also provides an updated overview of Oracle Fusion Middleware 12c, the latest edition of Oracle's enterprise Java application support software. The updated software provides the capability to diagnose potential issues within a Java virtual machine. Administrators can also provision middleware according to a service oriented architecture (SOA).
Enterprise Manager 12c Release 4 comes with a number of other features. The software can recognize roles and credentials assigned to users, allowing for more fine-grained access control. System security is now handled by a single console.
This release is also the first version of the software that supports version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), the protocol for managing network devices. The latest version of SNMP supports encryption.
- Federated Data Checks In Follow Westwood Vacations' journey from a downward slump of losing revenue quarter over quarter to a record-breaking year in just over 18 months.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Cloud BI Demo: Jaspersoft for AWS Watch a 5-minute overview demo of Jaspersoft for AWS and see how to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as...
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Databases White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!