The Snowden leaks: A timeline
What started with a sensational story on June 5, 2013 quickly turned into an unprecedented expose of U.S. intelligence operations
Computerworld - A lot has happened in the year since The Guardian newspaper published its first report based on documents leaked by former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor Edward Snowden.
What started with that sensational story on June 5, 2013 quickly turned into an unprecedented expose of the U.S. intelligence apparatus -- and that of some of its closest allies.
Snowden, who fled the U.S. before the first leak was published, is now a political refugee in Russia, a fugitive from justice in the U.S. and a polarizing figure at home and abroad.
The government has claimed that Snowden's copious leaks have seriously compromised U.S. national security interests and intelligence operations. Technology companies have pointed to the mistrust caused by the leaks for falling sales outside the U.S., while privacy and advocacy groups have hailed him for exposing what they perceive as dragnet surveillance by U.S. intelligence agencies.
Here's a look at the timeline of developments over the past year.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!