The Snowden leaks: A timeline
What started with a sensational story on June 5, 2013 quickly turned into an unprecedented expose of U.S. intelligence operations
Computerworld - A lot has happened in the year since The Guardian newspaper published its first report based on documents leaked by former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor Edward Snowden.
What started with that sensational story on June 5, 2013 quickly turned into an unprecedented expose of the U.S. intelligence apparatus -- and that of some of its closest allies.
Snowden, who fled the U.S. before the first leak was published, is now a political refugee in Russia, a fugitive from justice in the U.S. and a polarizing figure at home and abroad.
The government has claimed that Snowden's copious leaks have seriously compromised U.S. national security interests and intelligence operations. Technology companies have pointed to the mistrust caused by the leaks for falling sales outside the U.S., while privacy and advocacy groups have hailed him for exposing what they perceive as dragnet surveillance by U.S. intelligence agencies.
Here's a look at the timeline of developments over the past year.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!