Google heralds Chromebooks arrival with verse
The laptops are coming to New Zealand, Mexico and other countries, Google said Monday
IDG News Service - Google is bringing its Chromebooks to nine more countries around the world, and it's heralding their arrival with a flourish of verse.
"Chromebooks are coming to nine more nations, to improve computing for all generations," the company waxed lyrically in a blog post Monday.
The low-cost, Web-powered laptops are already available in many markets. They're now also coming to New Zealand, the Philippines, Norway, Denmark, Mexico, Chile, Belgium, Spain and Italy, Google said.
"So we'd like to say our Hellos, to our new global Chromebook fellows. Kia ora to our New Zealand mates, where getting on-line will have shorter waits," the poem continues.
They'll be sold online and through a variety of brick-and-mortar retailers in those countries, including Office Depot in Mexico and Dick Smith in New Zealand. The retail outlets may eventually be listed on the Chromebook website.
The models offered will vary by country but include the Acer C720, HP Chromebook 14 and Toshiba Chromebook 13. Google said they will start to arrive in the coming weeks.
ABI Research has estimated that 2.1 million Chromebooks shipped in 2013, at an average price of $338. That's a small drop in the overall market for PCs and tablets, but ABI still calls them a "disruptive force" in the laptop arena.
The devices are designed to run Google services and apps like Gmail, Drive and Docs. They depend somewhat on Internet access, though many of the apps can run in offline mode.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!