Google heralds Chromebooks arrival with verse
The laptops are coming to New Zealand, Mexico and other countries, Google said Monday
IDG News Service - Google is bringing its Chromebooks to nine more countries around the world, and it's heralding their arrival with a flourish of verse.
"Chromebooks are coming to nine more nations, to improve computing for all generations," the company waxed lyrically in a blog post Monday.
The low-cost, Web-powered laptops are already available in many markets. They're now also coming to New Zealand, the Philippines, Norway, Denmark, Mexico, Chile, Belgium, Spain and Italy, Google said.
"So we'd like to say our Hellos, to our new global Chromebook fellows. Kia ora to our New Zealand mates, where getting on-line will have shorter waits," the poem continues.
They'll be sold online and through a variety of brick-and-mortar retailers in those countries, including Office Depot in Mexico and Dick Smith in New Zealand. The retail outlets may eventually be listed on the Chromebook website.
The models offered will vary by country but include the Acer C720, HP Chromebook 14 and Toshiba Chromebook 13. Google said they will start to arrive in the coming weeks.
ABI Research has estimated that 2.1 million Chromebooks shipped in 2013, at an average price of $338. That's a small drop in the overall market for PCs and tablets, but ABI still calls them a "disruptive force" in the laptop arena.
The devices are designed to run Google services and apps like Gmail, Drive and Docs. They depend somewhat on Internet access, though many of the apps can run in offline mode.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!