SAP set to add cloud services for vertical industries
It's 'high time' SAP did this, analyst says
IDG News Service - SAP is hoping to grab a bigger piece of the money its customers spend on cloud-based software by creating a new series of industry-specific services.
The announcement comes on the eve of SAP's Sapphire conference in Orlando and a couple of months after Salesforce.com said it planned to go after six verticals in its own bid for further growth.
SAP's ambitions are broader, with the intent of eventually covering all 25 industries it now serves, according to the announcement.
A new Industry Cloud organization will be led by SAP executive Simon Paris. "Working in industries with highly specialized challenges, we will focus on our customers' most relevant business problems and then work creatively and collaboratively to develop industry cloud solutions," Paris said in a statement.
SAP has already made some steps in the direction of industry-specific cloud services. Monday's announcement cited a preconfigured ERP (enterprise resource planning) suite for chemical companies; the Circular Authority for Insurance application; and the use of its Hana in-memory computing platform by a number of health care startups.
While the announcement may amount to SAP putting a stake in the ground, it's an important one for the company to make, according to one observer.
"I think it's high time they did this," said analyst Ray Wang, founder and chairman of Constellation Research. "Customers are turning to other vendors in the cloud like Veeva for pharma, Accela for public sector and others."
Targeting industries plays to SAP's strength "and customers are looking for this," Wang added.
More details of the announcement are expected to emerge this week at Sapphire, which continues through Thursday in Orlando.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- Clearing the Network Hurdle to Cloud Deployment Although enthusiasm is high among IT pros for cloud services, an IDG Research Quick Poll survey found that, in fact, the cloud is...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!