Ford bringing in-vehicle tech to more Asian markets
A voice control system for mobile apps will be launched in Taiwan, Thailand and New Zealand
IDG News Service - Ford will begin offering its AppLink voice control system in additional Asian markets and bring its emergency assistance technology to Taiwan, the company said Monday at the Computex trade show in Taipei.
AppLink allows drivers to control mobile apps with voice commands and is being launched in three Asia Pacific markets this year: China, Australia and India. On Monday, Ford said it will begin offering AppLink in New Zealand, Taiwan and Thailand in 2015.
Its emergency assistance system, which automatically dials emergency services in the event of an accident, will also come to Taiwan. Already installed in 9 million vehicles, the system is triggered by an airbag deployment or emergency fuel cut off and gives drivers a 10-second window to cancel the call before it is automatically placed through a paired cell phone.
Ford will also demonstrate this week its vehicle to vehicle communications system that allows suitably equipped cars to pass information between each other over Wi-Fi. The data includes vehicle speed, location and predicted path and is being eyed as a potential way to reduce traffic collisions.
For example, if a vehicle makes a sudden lane change, that information is automatically passed to cars traveling behind allowing them to adjust their speed or course to avoid an accident. Or at least, that's the theory. Ford and other auto makers are researching such technology but it's yet to see a large-scale test.
The demonstration in Taipei will be the first time it's been shown in the Asia Pacific.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finance - Interactive eGuide In this e-Guide, Computerworld, IDG News Service and IT World examine software-defined data centers, customer experience tools, and security issues that are top...
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts