CIO - Jeff Como's mom used to chide him about his workaholic tendencies. "Why do you work so hard?" she'd ask her son, the IT executive. "It's not like you're curing cancer." That was before Como became CIO of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) nine years ago--joining the unique breed of dedicated IT leaders featured in our cover story (" CIOs Join Forces to Battle Cancer").
"I'd always wanted to apply my skills to something that wasn't just about building shareholder value," says Como, an IT veteran of aerospace, dotcom and outsourcing companies. "I was looking for a way to give back based on my skill sets."
In this profoundly hopeful and uplifting story, Stephanie Overby writes about informal coalitions of cancer-fighting CIOs from some of the country's leading medical institutions. These CIOs cross business boundaries with potential rivals--everyone competes for donor dollars--as they collaborate on technology strategies, share best practices or work jointly on developing a data-sharing platform. They compare notes on project management, data visualization and the best mobile technologies for fundraising activities.
"The end game is so similar that we thought, 'Why don't we share ideas?'" says CIO Jay Ferro of the American Cancer Society, who joined forces two years ago with LLS' Como and CIO Robert Machen of ALSAC, the fundraising arm of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. "Some people have a job, some people have a career, and some people are on a crusade," Ferro says. "We're on a crusade."
Being part of that crusade means taking full advantage of leading-edge IT practices in data management, new cloud-based services and the latest collaboration tools. It means enabling everything from donor management systems to next-generation DNA sequencing.
At Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, for example, IBM's supercomputer Watson is being used as a decision-support tool to optimize patient treatment plans. "I couldn't be alive at a more exciting time in cancer research," says Sloan Kettering CIO Patricia Skarulis, "and we're helping to get that to the bedside."
"Mission" is a word you hear often in conversations with CIOs in the cancer field. "I have to deliver an awful lot of basic services like every other CIO--networks, storage, file services, security," says Warren Kibbe, CIO of the National Cancer Institute. "But I have this really exciting additional mission to take into account."
Read more about health care in CIO's Health care Drilldown.
Pilot fish is trying to help a woman who runs a daycare center -- and since all she wants to do is publish a 30-page online handbook for parents, how hard will that be?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts