Ballmer wins LA Clippers basketball team for $2 billion
The previous owner was forced to sell the team after allegations of racist remarks
IDG News Service - Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has reached an agreement to buy the Los Angeles Clippers for a record US$2 billion, according to reports.
The professional basketball team based in Los Angeles, California has been up for sale after the National Basketball Association Commissioner Adam Silver banned owner Donald Sterling for life from any association with the Clippers or the NBA for alleged racial comments.
Silver also announced in April that he will urge the NBA's Board of Governors to force a sale of the team.
Ballmer, who retired in February from Microsoft after 14 years, has been interested in owning an NBA franchise for a while. He beat other bidders that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Steve Karsh and a group that included David Geffen, Oprah Winfrey, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, USA Today reported.
The former Microsoft executive seems unlikely to move the L.A. Clippers to Seattle, Washington after acquiring the franchise. "If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles," Ballmer told The Wall Street Journal earlier this month. "Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive."
The NBA Board of Governors must still approve the sale, according to reports. There is some debate, however, whether Sterling has to sign off on the deal or has given his wife the authority to sell the team.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts