Deutsche Telekom agrees to sell T-Mobile USA to Japan's SoftBank, report says
Details of an agreement to merge T-Mobile with SoftBank's Sprint aren't yet available
IDG News Service - Deutsche Telekom has agreed to an offer for Japanese mobile and broadband company SoftBank to buy T-Mobile USA, according to a news report.
Japanese news site Kyodo News, which reported the agreement, didn't give details of the price or structure of the deal.
The deal would combine SoftBank-owned Sprint, the third-largest U.S. mobile carrier, with T-Mobile, the fourth largest. The combined company would have more than 103 million subscribers, but it would still be No. 3 behind Verizon Wireless, with about 122 million subscribers, and AT&T, with 116 million.
SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son has pushed for a merger between Sprint and T-Mobile, saying a combined company is necessary to successfully compete with the two largest mobile carriers. A combined company would be able to invest in its network and push AT&T and Verizon on prices and services, he has said.
U.S. officials at the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice have raised competitive concerns about a potential merger between Sprint and T-Mobile USA. Both agencies would have to approve the deal.
Officials with Deutsche Telekom and SoftBank weren't available for comment.
SoftBank's $21.6 billion acquisition of Sprint closed last July.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's email address is email@example.com.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!