Tip of the Hat: The man behind Apple's post-Jobs acquisition spree
Businessweek profiles Apple's secretive dealmaker Adrian Perica, who's overseen a slew of acquisitions over the past two years
Computerworld - Apple's move to buy headphone maker and streaming music service Beats Electronics brought the company's acquisitive ways -- started after the death of founder Steve Jobs -- to the forefront.
Though Beats is by far Apple's most expensive acquisition, at $3 billion, it comes after CEO Tim Cook disclosed in April that the company had bought 24 companies in the previous 18 months.
Computerworld gives a Tip of the Hat to Bloomberg Businessweek reporter Adam Satariano for his incisive profile of former Goldman Sachs banker and military intelligence officer Adrian Perica, hired by Apple in 2009 to be its top dealmaker. Silicon Valley investors laud him for "getting things done," Satariano noted in the story, The Ex-Banker Behind the $3 Billion Apple-Beats Deal.
Satariano notes that while Perica "prefers to stay in the shadows" -- he's said to work in an unmarked building adjacent to Apple's headquarters -- he is closely watched in Silicon Valley.
For instance, the story notes that a San Francisco Chronicle report in April that Perica had met with executives of Tesla Motors set off many speculative stories from coast to coast about an Apple-Tesla combination.
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts