Tip of the Hat: The man behind Apple's post-Jobs acquisition spree
Businessweek profiles Apple's secretive dealmaker Adrian Perica, who's overseen a slew of acquisitions over the past two years
Computerworld - Apple's move to buy headphone maker and streaming music service Beats Electronics brought the company's acquisitive ways -- started after the death of founder Steve Jobs -- to the forefront.
Though Beats is by far Apple's most expensive acquisition, at $3 billion, it comes after CEO Tim Cook disclosed in April that the company had bought 24 companies in the previous 18 months.
Computerworld gives a Tip of the Hat to Bloomberg Businessweek reporter Adam Satariano for his incisive profile of former Goldman Sachs banker and military intelligence officer Adrian Perica, hired by Apple in 2009 to be its top dealmaker. Silicon Valley investors laud him for "getting things done," Satariano noted in the story, The Ex-Banker Behind the $3 Billion Apple-Beats Deal.
Satariano notes that while Perica "prefers to stay in the shadows" -- he's said to work in an unmarked building adjacent to Apple's headquarters -- he is closely watched in Silicon Valley.
For instance, the story notes that a San Francisco Chronicle report in April that Perica had met with executives of Tesla Motors set off many speculative stories from coast to coast about an Apple-Tesla combination.
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Accelerating the Delivery Microsoft Office 365 Many organizations use Office 365's cloud-based mail, collaboration and communication services as the dominant workload. However, as services move to the cloud, data...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts