Google adds Nest notices to Android Wear smartwatches
Users will get smoke alarm notifications on their smartwatches
IDG News Service - Google has posted a number of notifications to show what users will be able to see on their Android Wear smartwatches, including integration with Nest's smoke detector.
Wear is an extension of Android, and to make the OS a better fit for the small-screen smartwatch, the user interface relies on voice control, Google Now and notifications to present relevant information to the user.
On Wednesday, Google's developer advocate Timothy Jordan posted images of a number of notifications. The first show how a Wear-based smartwatch can be integrated with a Nest smoke alarm, warning "Emergency: There is smoke - Office" and then following up with a new notification saying "Smoke clearing - Office."
Google announced in January it was acquiring Nest for $3.2 billion.
Jordan also posted notifications from the "Clash of Clans" game, the Google calendar and the Pocket Casts podcast player.
The availability of a wide variety of apps is a must if Android Wear is to become a success, and Google wants to make it as easy as possible for developers to integrate their apps with smartwatches
"One of the coolest parts of Android Wear is how it extends the Android platform to a new generation of devices out of the box, without any need to update your app. A If you have a notification-enabled app, those notifications will generally just work on your new wearable," Jordan said.
For developers that want to take a closer look at what the platform can do, Google is offering the Android Wear Developer Preview. It includes tools and APIs (application programming interfaces) for optimizing app notifications.
The first two Android Wear-based smartwatches are expected to be the G Watch from LG Electronics and Motorola's Moto 360, which will start shipping in the next couple of months.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts