CIO - There are two types of people at a startup technology vendor -- the promise-makers and the promise-keepers.
Chris Laping has little appetite for the cold-calling salespeople who fall into the first category. Yet as senior vice president of business transformation and CIO for Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, he's hungry for the next source of advantage in a hyper-competitive industry -- whether it's a menu change, a new market or an emerging technology.
When Laping got the opportunity to meet with well-known venture capital firms and the CEOs of their portfolio companies -- the promise-keepers -- he leapt at it. "As a CIO, I want to pull back the curtain and understand what innovations they can bring to our business," he says.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.