How to sort your Facebook feed by time on mobile
Some users criticize a mobile update making a time-sort feature harder to access
IDG News Service - Weddings. Job promotions. News articles. Facebook thinks it knows what the best stories are to drop in your news feed. But some users might want to see things their own way.
As an alternative to its default filtering algorithm, Facebook provides a way to sort your friends' posts by chronology in its mobile apps. But some people say the process for doing so is not that awesome.
After a recent change to Facebook's app on iOS, a number of users say the company has essentially buried the sort-by-time feature. Taking to online discussion boards to complain, they also lament the fact that there is no way to set the mode as a default on mobile.
Facebook's algorithm sorts posts that appear in people's news feeds, using signals such as the number of likes the posts generate and who posted them. As a result, posts that generate a lot of activity can stay lodged toward the top of users' feeds, maybe even over the course of a day. Facebook calls this default setting "top stories."
For users opting for a chronological view of their posts, there is an easy way to change the setting on the desktop. But changing the setting on Android -- and now iOS -- requires a different process, one that some users don't like, or aren't even aware of.
"Please restore the 'most recent' news feed option back to its prominent location in the iOS version of the app," one person said in the discussion boards. "I have top stories show up that are days old because of whatever dumb logic Facebook employs."
In this Tech Tip video, IDG News Service shows how to navigate the sort-by-time feature on both mobile and desktop.
Besides time, Facebook also provides some other personalized news feed options based around users' personal affiliations, jobs worked and schools attended. Users can add specific people to these lists if they want, which can be accessed from both mobile and the desktop.
Facebook is constantly tweaking its filtering algorithm. Late last year, as part of an effort to display more "high-quality" content, the company said it would be emphasizing news articles in the feed. But high quality to one person may be of a different quality to another.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!