Cisco to acquire malware prevention company
Agrees to acquire New York-based ThreatGrid for undisclosed sum
Network World - SAN FRANCISCO -- Cisco this week announced its intent to acquire ThreatGRID, a New York-based maker of malware analysis and threat intelligence technology.
Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
ThreatGRID's products will enhance the malware protection portfolio obtained from Cisco's acquisition of Sourcefire in 2013, the company says. ThreatGRID makes products for both on-premises and cloud-based security.
+MORE ON NETWORK WORLD: Cisco details Sourcefire security threat integration, open source direction +
On-premises products are designed for internal data retention. The Sourcefire sourced products address network to endpoint capabilities, including malware detection and blocking, analysis and retrospective remediation of advanced threats.
The combination of Sourcefire and ThreatGRID will allow Cisco customers to aggregate and correlate data to identify cyber threats, Cisco says.
Cisco expects the acquisition to close in the fourth quarter of its fiscal year 2014.
ThreatGRID adds malware sandboxing capabilities for public and private clouds to the Sourcefire FireAMP (advanced malware protection) product line, says Derek Idemoto, vice president of corporate development at Cisco.
"Sourcefire's been aware of ThreatGRID for years," Idemoto said at this week's Cisco Live conference. "We asked them, 'What is the next thing we should be doing?'"
Acquiring ThreatGRID's 25 engineers is apparently what the Sourcefire team recommended.
There is no product overlap with the FireAMP portfolio, Idemoto said.
Read more about wide area network in Network World's Wide Area Network section.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Advanced Attacks Demand New Defenses Cyber-criminals wielding APTs have plenty of innovative techniques to evade network and endpoint defenses. It's scary stuff, and ignorance is definitely not bliss....
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts