Solar power to provide HP's HQ with 20% of its electricity
All 4,000 solar panels will be on the Palo Alto's company rooftop
Computerworld - HP's Palo Alto campus is about to be outfitted with more than 4,000 solar panels, enough to offset about 20% of the facility's current electricity usage.
The solar power project is HP's largest to date; the company estimated it will save $1 million in energy expenses over the next two decades.
HP would not disclose the cost of the project.
An HP spokesperson said the new solar installation is one part of "a broad commitment to protecting the environment."
HP said it has set an "aggressive goal" to reduce emissions from facilities and vehicles (known as "scope one" or owned emissions), and emissions from outside power sources from which it purchases energy (known as "scope two" emissions).
The company hopes to reduce these emissions by 20% before 2020, as compared to its 2010 baseline.
Along with the City of Palo Alto Utilities, HP has contracted with SolarCity, an outside vendor, which will install, maintain and continue to own the roof-top solar panels. HP has signed a 20-year agreement to purchase that power from SunCity.
HP's system will be Palo Alto's largest to date, increasing the amount of local solar power installed there by approximately 21%.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!