Resume Makeover: How to Emphasize Your Career Highlights
CIO - Ryan Jones (not his real name) had invested a great deal of time developing two separate resumes -- one to cover his experience supporting broadcast systems and another for his time in IT operations. But while both resumes included an incredible amount of detail, neither one adequately focused on the next step in his career, says Laura Smith-Proulx, certified professional resume writer and career management coach with An Expert Resume.
"From my first glance, I could tell that Ryan had worked hard to incorporate a lot of detail in his resume. It was obvious that he'd worked in some fast-paced environments requiring him to support both IT operations and broadcast systems, while delivering major projects," she says.
However, the lack of an overall focus, and the use of mostly single-line bullets made Jones' resume difficult to read and even harder to decipher which efforts were the most important in his career, Smith-Proulx says.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Software license renewal solutions that insure compliance A large design group with a software license renewal challenge employs a software asset management (SAM) tool from CDW to insure compliance. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts