Symantec tailors sharper small business security suite
Norton Small Business works on Windows, OS X and Android with limited features for iOS
IDG News Service - Symantec's latest product, Norton Small Business, is perhaps the most well-rounded and ambitious offering the company has inserted into its product array for small companies.
The security company has been working for more than a year to revamp its product line as the company faces an ever-competitive security market.
Symantec has at least four products it says are suited for small businesses such as Norton 360 version 6.0, Norton AntiVirus 2012, Norton Internet Security 2012 and Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition. All are priced differently and have some overlapping features.
None of those products are being retired but will instead be joined by Norton Small Business, which has been geared to keep up with trends: mobile device security and protection for Apple desktop computers. It is aimed at companies with fewer than 20 employees that are unlikely to have a full-time IT specialist.
Symantec is also offering an ambitious guarantee to Norton Small Business buyers called "Virus Removal Assurance." It is offering free phone support as part of the guarantee, saying that if its support technicians can't remove the malicious software, customers can get their money back for the product.
Virus and spyware removal support is a feature of other Symantec products, such as the NortonLive Service, but costs $100 per call. The company claims it is able to remove malware in 99.9 percent of the time.
Symantec's guarantee assumes a customer knows it's infected and that malware has been found on the computer, an increasingly difficult task for consumer-grade security software suites.
For general antivirus protection, Norton Small Business uses Symantec's Insight and Sonar technologies, which are designed to spot unknown malicious files and programs and and classify them based on their reputation and behavior, a more effective method than relying on signatures.
Since mobile devices are increasingly being used by small businesses, the product has several security and device management features, mostly for Android.
The suite will scan Android applications to see if they're malicious. It also can block calls and text messages from certain numbers and will also scan SD memory cards.
For iOS iPads and iPhones, the features of Norton Small Business are limited due to Apple's tight control over its devices and what kind of applications users can install. Apple doesn't allow security applications to be installed on its mobile devices, so the security features offered for Android devices don't apply to Apple ones.
A product sheet claims that Norton Small Business can track a lost Apple device, but Apple has already incorporated that feature into iOS. It also has a "scream alarm" to locate a missing iOS device that may be within earshot.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!