Facebook developing Slingshot, a Snapchat alternative
New Facebook app could be launched this month
IDG News Service - Facebook is said to be building a video-messaging app to rival the Snapchat messaging service.
The new app is known internally as Slingshot and could be launched this month, the Financial Times reported Sunday, citing people familiar with the work. A source told the newspaper that Facebook may yet decide not to move forward with the product.
Facebook said it "does not comment on reports based on rumors and speculation."
Slingshot will allow users to exchange short video messages, the newspaper reported. It is meant to compete directly with Snapchat, a popular messaging app that allows its users to snap a quick photo or video that will disappear after being viewed.
Snapchat added text and video chat features earlier this month.
Facebook's alternative won't offer video calls but will rather work like TapTalk, an app that lets users tap a friend's profile picture to quickly send a photo or video that is deleted after being seen, according to the Financial Times.
Slingshot has been in the works for several months and will probably be a stand-alone app, the Financial Times said, adding that Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been personally overseeing the project after his company failed to buy Snapchat for $3 billion last year.
Facebook decided to kill its early Snapchat clone Poke earlier this month. Launched in 2012, Poke let users send "pokes", photos and other messages to friends, but it didn't seem to catch on.
Loek is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts