Google hopes fashion expertise will give Glass a boost with new hire
New boss Ivy Ross will have to help Google overcome privacy fears and social awkwardness
IDG News Service - Google has hired a former Calvin Klein and Gap executive to help make Glass socially acceptable and turn it into a mainstream product.
Ivy Ross, who is joining Google on Monday, said in a Google+ post that part of her job will be to explain why the head-mounted computer makes sense to a wider audience. That includes helping overcome privacy fears and making the product more socially acceptable.
Privacy advocates have expressed concern about Glass' video recording capability and some wearers have been accosted and mocked while wearing the product in public.
Ross' Linkedin page lists an impressive and quite varied resume. Previous posts include executive roles at companies including Gap, Mattel, Calvin Klein and Coach. Also, glasses aren't new for Ross, who spent a number of years at Bausch & Lomb.
Earlier this year, Google also partnered with the Luxottica Group, an Italian company that owns Ray-Ban, Oakley and other brands, to help design, manufacture and distribute Glass frames.
Ross joins Google at an important time in the development of Glass, which went on general sale in the U.S. earlier this week. Google is still beta testing the product, but the company is hoping to get feedback from more users with the wider availability. The price tag is still $1,500.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!