Google looks to expand Play store worldwide, adds PayPal support
Google wants to fuel momentum outside the U.S. with app sales in more countries
IDG News Service - Google aims to fuel international sales in the Play store by expanding the use of carrier billing and letting developers sell apps in more countries. The company has also added PayPal as a new payment method in countries such as the U.S. and Germany.
With sales outside the U.S. continuing to climb Google wants to fuel this momentum by making Play payments more convenient for Android users around the world, it said on Thursday.
Developers based in 13 new countries including Indonesia, Malaysia and Turkey can now sell apps on Google Play.
Carrier billing -- which lets people pay for purchases on Play via their phone bill -- has been extended from 17 countries to 24, adding Singapore, Thailand and Taiwan, among others.
Google is also making it possible to use PayPal for Play purchases in 12 countries, including Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, the U.S. and the U.K., it said. Users can choose PayPal as an option in their Google Wallet, and after adding account login details they'll be able to make purchases.
The smartphone market is becoming more international, with growth coming from emerging countries as opposed to the U.S. and Western Europe.
Google seems to be aware it needs to keep up with these developments. Today, two-thirds of Play purchases happen outside of the U.S., according to the company.
Developers that want more details can visit the dedicated section on Google's developer portal.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts