Google looks to expand Play store worldwide, adds PayPal support
Google wants to fuel momentum outside the U.S. with app sales in more countries
IDG News Service - Google aims to fuel international sales in the Play store by expanding the use of carrier billing and letting developers sell apps in more countries. The company has also added PayPal as a new payment method in countries such as the U.S. and Germany.
With sales outside the U.S. continuing to climb Google wants to fuel this momentum by making Play payments more convenient for Android users around the world, it said on Thursday.
Developers based in 13 new countries including Indonesia, Malaysia and Turkey can now sell apps on Google Play.
Carrier billing -- which lets people pay for purchases on Play via their phone bill -- has been extended from 17 countries to 24, adding Singapore, Thailand and Taiwan, among others.
Google is also making it possible to use PayPal for Play purchases in 12 countries, including Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, the U.S. and the U.K., it said. Users can choose PayPal as an option in their Google Wallet, and after adding account login details they'll be able to make purchases.
The smartphone market is becoming more international, with growth coming from emerging countries as opposed to the U.S. and Western Europe.
Google seems to be aware it needs to keep up with these developments. Today, two-thirds of Play purchases happen outside of the U.S., according to the company.
Developers that want more details can visit the dedicated section on Google's developer portal.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success Download this e-Book to learn best practices for executing a BYOD policy.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts