Google looks to expand Play store worldwide, adds PayPal support
Google wants to fuel momentum outside the U.S. with app sales in more countries
IDG News Service - Google aims to fuel international sales in the Play store by expanding the use of carrier billing and letting developers sell apps in more countries. The company has also added PayPal as a new payment method in countries such as the U.S. and Germany.
With sales outside the U.S. continuing to climb Google wants to fuel this momentum by making Play payments more convenient for Android users around the world, it said on Thursday.
Developers based in 13 new countries including Indonesia, Malaysia and Turkey can now sell apps on Google Play.
Carrier billing -- which lets people pay for purchases on Play via their phone bill -- has been extended from 17 countries to 24, adding Singapore, Thailand and Taiwan, among others.
Google is also making it possible to use PayPal for Play purchases in 12 countries, including Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, the U.S. and the U.K., it said. Users can choose PayPal as an option in their Google Wallet, and after adding account login details they'll be able to make purchases.
The smartphone market is becoming more international, with growth coming from emerging countries as opposed to the U.S. and Western Europe.
Google seems to be aware it needs to keep up with these developments. Today, two-thirds of Play purchases happen outside of the U.S., according to the company.
Developers that want more details can visit the dedicated section on Google's developer portal.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts