Tip of the Hat: An expansive look at Apple's big asset
John R. Moran provides a strong explanation of how Apple's design philosophy is unique in the tech business -- and likely always will be
Computerworld - Since Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1998, the company developed innovative products credited with creating new markets -- smartphones, tablets and the like -- that led to explosive growth that's pushed the company's annual revenue figures beyond the $170 billion mark.
Apple is the company the tech world looks to for innovation and for leadership and is on multiple 'most admired' lists. It does face questions today as CEO Tim Cook leads the way, but design is clearly still 'Job One' at Apple.
John R. Moran of the Rampant Innovation website gets a Tip of the Hat from Computerworld for a comprehensive look at Apple's design philosophy, which he notes continues to be the backbone od the company since Jobs' death in 2011.
Moran's story, Design Is About Intent, notes that Apple itself still calls design "its defining capability."
"Lest there be any doubt, they told us last summer: Apple is about design." writes Moran. "It's what they value, teach and celebrate, and it's what has enabled them to revolutionize industry after industry with innovative products and business models."
From there, Moran dives into into Apple's design history and its strategy to center its business on the practice. It compares Apple's philosophy with that of its rivals. None of them, he notes, compares favorably, and likely never will. It's a terrific read and highly recommended.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts