Former Subway franchise owner admits to POS hacking
Abdollahi pleads guilty to charges that he illegally accessed POS systems he sold to Subway restaurants in a gift card scam
IDG News Service - A former owner of several Subway fast-food restaurants in southern California pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges stemming from a gift card scheme that involved tampering with several other Subway stores' computerized cash registers.
Federal prosecutors accused Shahin Abdollahi, 46, of Lake Elsinore, California, of selling point-of-sale systems to at least 13 Subway stores with remote login software called LogMeIn installed, according to the March 2013 indictment.
He and another defendant, Jeffrey Wilkinson, 37, of Rialto, California, were accused of accessing those POS systems using LogMeIn when the stores were closed, loading value onto Subway gift cards. Subway stores accept money for the gift cards and encode the value onto the card.
The two men then allegedly sold the cards, worth as much as $40,000, on eBay and Craigslist and hand-delivered them to customers.
Abdollahi pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts to one count of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion and wire fraud and one count of wire fraud, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. He is scheduled for sentencing on May 28, the same day as Wilkinson, who also pleaded guilty to related charges in February.
Abdollahi was accused of forming a company in California called "POS Doctor," which sold new and refurbished POS systems to Subway franchises nationwide, including in Wyoming, California and Massachusetts. Abdollahi operated the business under an alias, Sean Holdt, prosecutors alleged.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!