Former Subway franchise owner admits to POS hacking
Abdollahi pleads guilty to charges that he illegally accessed POS systems he sold to Subway restaurants in a gift card scam
IDG News Service - A former owner of several Subway fast-food restaurants in southern California pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges stemming from a gift card scheme that involved tampering with several other Subway stores' computerized cash registers.
Federal prosecutors accused Shahin Abdollahi, 46, of Lake Elsinore, California, of selling point-of-sale systems to at least 13 Subway stores with remote login software called LogMeIn installed, according to the March 2013 indictment.
He and another defendant, Jeffrey Wilkinson, 37, of Rialto, California, were accused of accessing those POS systems using LogMeIn when the stores were closed, loading value onto Subway gift cards. Subway stores accept money for the gift cards and encode the value onto the card.
The two men then allegedly sold the cards, worth as much as $40,000, on eBay and Craigslist and hand-delivered them to customers.
Abdollahi pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts to one count of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion and wire fraud and one count of wire fraud, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. He is scheduled for sentencing on May 28, the same day as Wilkinson, who also pleaded guilty to related charges in February.
Abdollahi was accused of forming a company in California called "POS Doctor," which sold new and refurbished POS systems to Subway franchises nationwide, including in Wyoming, California and Massachusetts. Abdollahi operated the business under an alias, Sean Holdt, prosecutors alleged.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!