Target, Gap, other retailers join to share cyberthreat data
A range of retailers will share cyberthreat data through a new center to prevent attacks
IDG News Service - Some of the biggest U.S. retailers have banded together to share information about cyberthreats, in a bid to avert breaches like that suffered by Target last holiday season.
Target, The Gap, Walgreens and J.C. Penney are among the members of the group, which will share real-time threat information with each other and with the Department of Homeland Security, Secret Service, FBI and other "public and private stakeholders," they said Wednesday.
They'll share information about new strains of malware, activity on underground forums and potential software vulnerabilities, which they said will be translated into "actionable intelligence." They'll also share anonymized information with the U.S. government.
The goal of the organization, called the Retail Cyber Intelligence Sharing Center, or R-CISC, is to help the retailers get out in front of emerging threats. It follows a data breach at Target late last year in which millions of payment card details and other personal records were lost, in one of the largest data breaches in history.
Education and training are part of the program, but the success of the effort hinges on the amount of information retailers can gather and their willingness to share it.
"We are confident that by sharing with our peers and industry stakeholders through the R-CISC, our industry will collectively strengthen its ability to protect critical customer information," Warren Steytler, vice president of information security at Lowe's, said in the announcement.
Other participants are American Eagle Outfitters, Nike, Safeway and VF Corp., which operates Vans and Nautica, among others.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!