Blink team to join Yahoo, 'self-destructing' messaging app to shut down
Yahoo said the Blink team will work on "smart" communications products
IDG News Service - The developers of Blink, a messaging app that could be programmed to destroy messages, are moving to Yahoo to work on communications products.
The app for both Android and iOS will be shut down over the next few weeks, the team said in a blog post Tuesday.
The Blink team said it built its secret messaging app, which destroyed messages including videos after a set period of time, because it believed "everyone should be free to show the same honesty and spontaneity in their online conversations as they can in person."
"We look forward to the possibilities that will come from bringing the Blink vision to Yahoo," they added.
"I can confirm that the entire team behind Blink and Kismet will be joining our mobile team in Sunnyvale where they will focus on smart communication products," a Yahoo spokeswoman said. She did not disclose whether Yahoo had acquired the company or just brought over the staff. "The team is joining Yahoo and we are not acquiring the product," she wrote via email. "Were not going to comment on deal structure beyond that."
Kismet is a location-based social networking app also developed by Blink developers Meh Labs.
Attracting the teams of startups to the company has been a key element of Yahoo's acquisition strategy. The Internet giant has made a string of small acquisitions since Marissa Mayer became CEO in 2012, which by some estimates could be around 40.
Blink rival Snapchat entered into an agreement last week with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission to settle charges that it had deceived consumers by making false promises about the disappearing nature of messages sent through its app.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!