Amazon brings cloud monitoring tool to Europe
The expansion allows collected log files to be stored locally
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services' monitoring tool CloudTrail is now available from the company's EU region in Ireland, allowing all data to remain in Europe.
CloudTrail is a Web service that records API calls and delivers them as log files to the IT department. The data can then be used for security analysis, resource change tracking and compliance auditing, according to Amazon.
One of the core benefits for users in Europe is that they can now combine CloudTrail with services they are running locally, according to Amazon. CloudTrail records API calls made by compatible services and delivers log files to an S3 (Simple Storage Service) bucket specified by the user. By running CloudTrail in the EU region, all of this data stays in the EU, Amazon said.
CloudTrail is compatible with a long list of Amazon's services, including infrastructure offerings such as Elastic Compute Cloud, Block Store and MapReduce. It's also compatible with Elastic Beanstalk and CloudFormation management services.
By default, CloudTrail log files are encrypted using S3 SSE (Server Side Encryption). Users can also add an extra layer of security by turning on multifactor authentication, according to an FAQ.
To make better use of the data that CloudTrail collects, enterprises can turn to AlertLogic, Boundary, Loggly, Splunk and Sumologic, which offer integrated solutions to analyze CloudTrail log files.
The service was originally announced in November last year and is still a beta. CloudTrail itself is free, but users have to pay for the storage capacity and messages it consumes.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts