Amazon brings cloud monitoring tool to Europe
The expansion allows collected log files to be stored locally
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services' monitoring tool CloudTrail is now available from the company's EU region in Ireland, allowing all data to remain in Europe.
CloudTrail is a Web service that records API calls and delivers them as log files to the IT department. The data can then be used for security analysis, resource change tracking and compliance auditing, according to Amazon.
One of the core benefits for users in Europe is that they can now combine CloudTrail with services they are running locally, according to Amazon. CloudTrail records API calls made by compatible services and delivers log files to an S3 (Simple Storage Service) bucket specified by the user. By running CloudTrail in the EU region, all of this data stays in the EU, Amazon said.
CloudTrail is compatible with a long list of Amazon's services, including infrastructure offerings such as Elastic Compute Cloud, Block Store and MapReduce. It's also compatible with Elastic Beanstalk and CloudFormation management services.
By default, CloudTrail log files are encrypted using S3 SSE (Server Side Encryption). Users can also add an extra layer of security by turning on multifactor authentication, according to an FAQ.
To make better use of the data that CloudTrail collects, enterprises can turn to AlertLogic, Boundary, Loggly, Splunk and Sumologic, which offer integrated solutions to analyze CloudTrail log files.
The service was originally announced in November last year and is still a beta. CloudTrail itself is free, but users have to pay for the storage capacity and messages it consumes.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!