BlackBerry eyes new smartphone with high-resolution screen
The phone has a 1440 by 1440 pixel resolution and will also come with a 13-megapixel camera
IDG News Service - BlackBerry is working on an unannounced smartphone that has a 4.5-inch screen with a 1440 by 1440 pixel resolution, as evidenced by the latest version of the company's SDK (software development kit).
"I know, I know...you want more details on that new device, but we're not quite ready to give them yet, so hold tight and watch the blog for more information!," wrote Tim Neil, director of application platform and tools product management at BlackBerry, in a blog post on Wednesday.
Neil doesn't mention the screen's size in his post, but he does confirm that it has 453 dots per inch, which equals 4.5 inches.
For now, BlackBerry won't reveal any other details about the device, but with the 10.3 beta simulator developers can see how their applications will behave in the new resolution, according to Neil. His tip to developers is to check it out as soon as they can, hinting that an official announcement isn't too far off.
The BlackBerry 10-based smartphone in question is code named "Windermere." It has a stainless steel frame, a 13-megapixel camera with optical image stabilization and 3450 mAh battery, according to a specification leaked to CrackBerry, a site devoted to BlackBerry news. The leaked information also included the 4.5-inch screen size.
Even though its sales have been catastrophically bad, BlackBerry doesn't seem ready to give up hardware to solely focus on messaging and enterprise management software. On Thursday, the low-cost Z3 will go on sale in Indonesia. Later this year, the company will also start shipping the Classic, which has a physical QWERTY keyboard.
During the first quarter, Blackberry sold 1.3 million smartphones, down from about 6.4 million a year ago, according to ABI Research.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!