SanDisk ships its first self-encrypting SSDs
The drives come with management software with an administrative dashboard
Computerworld - SanDisk today released its first self-encrypting SSDs, a line of drives aimed at enterprises.
SanDisk's new X300s SSD uses both the Trusted Computing Group's Opal 2.0 specification and Microsoft Encrypted Hard Drive hardware-based encryption to protect data on the drive.
The encryption algorithms are also coupled with a management dashboard for IT admins to use for audit and compliance purposes.
The SanDisk X300s SSD will be available in June through the SanDisk Commercial Business Channel in two form factors - 2.5-in x 7mm thick and an M.2 single-sided expansion board, with capacities of 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1TB.
Capacities up to 512GB will be supported on the M.2 expansion board; the 2.5-in SSD, which fits in a standard laptop's hard drive bay, is available in 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB capacities.
The X300s SSD comes equipped with Wave System's Embassy Security Center (ESC) as part of the upcoming SanDisk SSD Dashboard software suite. Wave's ESC is a local client application that manages the X300s by determining who can access the encrypted data via user and password set-up. The inclusion of Wave's ESC on each X300s SSD includes local management of each drive.
The Wave software is provided at no additional cost, SanDisk said.
The company did not release pricing for the drives.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Report: Back Up Critical Cloud Data before It's Too Late Read the February 2014 Forrester Research Inc. Report, Back Up Your Critical Cloud Data Before It's Too Late: Cloud-To-Cloud Backup Emerges As A...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts