Samsung to unveil Gear Glass at IFA this September, report says
Google Glass competitor would have one earpiece and would display over one eye, run Tizen OS
Computerworld - Samsung plans to launch a Google Glass competitor called Gear Glass in September, timed with the IFA technology show in Berlin, according to a report in Business Korea.
A mockup drawing that appeared with the report indicates Gear Glass would apparently work with an ear piece only in the right ear with a display in front of the right eye. Google Glass is more like a full set of eyeglasses.
Gear Glass would reportedly run on the Tizen mobile operating system, the lightweight open source platform that Samsung has deployed in several smart wristbands, including the Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo and Gear Fit.
Samsung didn't comment on the report. IFA runs from Sept. 5-10.
Google Glass is expected to roll out commercially by the end of the year, and it apparently will support more functionality, such as prescription lenses, augmented reality, a music player and wireless connections to a smartphone, than what some competitors are proposing.
Sony is also expected to have a smart eyewear product this summer. Apple is likely to enter the smart glasses category at some point.
This article, Samsung to unveil Gear Glass at IFA this September, report says, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Three Best Practices to Help Enterprises Overcome BYOD Challenges The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!