Salesforce.com ties Force.com to Heroku to bolster app development
Customers won't need 'ninja developers' anymore to create powerful new types of applications, a Salesforce executive says
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com has made another step toward unifying its family of application development technologies with Salesforce1 Heroku Connect, which synchronizes data between its Force.com platform and Heroku.
Heroku Connect allows data to flow in both directions between Force.com and Postgres databases used by Heroku. As a result, developers can create applications that combine the transactional business processes powered by Force.com with Heroku's mobile and Web-friendly development tools.
While Force.com uses a proprietary programming language called Apex, Heroku offers support for open-source languages and frameworks such as Node.js, Ruby on Rails and Python.
Salesforce.com wants to give companies the ability to create "game-changing" applications such as the Uber ridesharing service, said Adam Gross, vice president of product at Heroku, which Salesforce.com acquired in 2010.
More than just a flashy user interface, such applications take advantage of powerful back-end business logic to deliver services to customers, Gross said.
But for the most part, creating such applications has required either "ninja developers" or "IT armies" deployed by the largest enterprises, something Heroku Connect will change, Gross contended.
Salesforce.com first announced Heroku Connect at the Dreamforce conference in November. Since then, it has undergone beta testing and is now generally available.
It's included as part of Salesforce.com's Connected Customer App Package, with pricing dependent on volume.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts