Salesforce.com ties Force.com to Heroku to bolster app development
Customers won't need 'ninja developers' anymore to create powerful new types of applications, a Salesforce executive says
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com has made another step toward unifying its family of application development technologies with Salesforce1 Heroku Connect, which synchronizes data between its Force.com platform and Heroku.
Heroku Connect allows data to flow in both directions between Force.com and Postgres databases used by Heroku. As a result, developers can create applications that combine the transactional business processes powered by Force.com with Heroku's mobile and Web-friendly development tools.
While Force.com uses a proprietary programming language called Apex, Heroku offers support for open-source languages and frameworks such as Node.js, Ruby on Rails and Python.
Salesforce.com wants to give companies the ability to create "game-changing" applications such as the Uber ridesharing service, said Adam Gross, vice president of product at Heroku, which Salesforce.com acquired in 2010.
More than just a flashy user interface, such applications take advantage of powerful back-end business logic to deliver services to customers, Gross said.
But for the most part, creating such applications has required either "ninja developers" or "IT armies" deployed by the largest enterprises, something Heroku Connect will change, Gross contended.
Salesforce.com first announced Heroku Connect at the Dreamforce conference in November. Since then, it has undergone beta testing and is now generally available.
It's included as part of Salesforce.com's Connected Customer App Package, with pricing dependent on volume.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts