New Motorola smartphone aims at crowded low-cost market
On Sunday, the Wall Street Journal reported that Samsung is eyeing Russia and, like Motorola, India as launchpads for its first Tizen phone.
The timing of these developments isn't a coincidence.
Qualcomm's dominant position in the high end of the smartphone market forced competing chip makers to concentrate on the low end of the market, where smartphone manufacturers aren't as wedded to the idea of using Qualcomm's components. That and the emergence of so-called reference designs have changed the smartphone market at its core, according to Saadi.
Reference design programs provide a one-stop shop that includes the tools and resources device manufacturers need to quickly and cheaply put out devices.
"Programs from Qualcomm, MediaTek and Spreadtrum have helped lower the cost of developing a smartphone by something like a third. The collapse of smartphone pricing in the affordable segment has mainly been driven by this development," Saadi said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!