Samsung chairman suffers heart attack
Lee's is stable and recovering, Samsung says
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics' 72-year-old chairman Kun-Hee Lee is in a stable condition after suffering a heart attack.
Lee, the son of the group's founder, was admitted to the Samsung Medical Center in Seoul early Sunday morning and is recovering, the company said in an emailed statement. A Samsung spokeswoman said she had no information about how long he was expected to remain in the hospital.
Under Lee's leadership Samsung became one of the biggest electronics companies in the world, making a wide range of products from mobile phones to televisions and washing machines. Though Lee is not much involved in the day-to-day business decisions he is believed to have a final say in big decisions, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.
Lee's son, Jay Y. Lee, is widely viewed as being groomed to become his successor and lead the company. If he takes over from his father he would be the third generation of the family involved in the company. Kun-Hee Lee took control of the company after his father's death in 1987.
The 45-year-old Jay Y. Lee has been serving Samsung as vice chairman since 2012, and before that he was the company's COO. He is the international face of the company and has been credited with having closed deals with companies such as Apple, the Journal reported.
Jay Y. Lee has also worked in Samsung's corporate strategy office and is said to promote innovation and convergence in the company's semiconductor, telecommunications and electronics divisions. The younger Lee also played a major role in the formation of the S-LCD corporation, a joint venture between Samsung and Sony that manufactures LCD (liquid crystal display) panels.
Samsung recently took steps to help the chairman's son take control of the company, according to the Journal. The company did not say anything about its succession plans.
- IT Skills Proficiency Tool This tool helps you determine if your team has the right skill sets and what gaps need to be filled. By evaluating your...
- Enabling Unified Service Delivery Management With the nGeniusONE Platform Today's IT organizations manage diverse business services comprising a host of applications running on many server farms within the data center.
- Transform Your Data Center from Basic to Strategic by Increasing Operational Efficiency and Optimizing Intelligence Find out how data center and facilities management are able to use DCIM solutions and a pioneering "zone" approach to bridge the information...
- Cloud storage is strategically inevitable Economic pressures continue to drive much of the IT agenda while, at the same time, executives are demanding that IT incorporate new and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Zoning in on Energy and Physical Infrastructure Management In this Webcast you will learn how to develop and execute a strategy to optimize the energy efficiency of your data center. All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts