Apple may buy Beats Electronics for $3.2 billion, reports say
Beats is a popular maker of headphones and a new music streaming service
IDG News Service - Apple is in talks to buy headphones maker Beats Electronics for US$3.2 billion, in what would be its largest-ever acquisition, according to reports Thursday.
The deal could be announced as soon as next week, according to the reports, which cited people familiar with the negotiations, though the talks could also fall apart, they cautioned. The news was reported by the Financial Times and The New York Times.
Beats makes a popular line of headphones and recently launched a streaming music service. The company was founded by music producer Jimmy Iovine and hip-hop artist Dr. Dre.
Should the deal go through, it would mark a major new content and hardware push for CEO Tim Cook. Apple was known to be wary of big acquisitions under his predecessor, the late Steve Jobs.
Apple and Beats did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Beats Music could provide Apple with an improved or alternative version of its own streaming music service, iTunes Radio, whose usefulness has been questioned by users versus popular rivals like Spotify and Rdio.
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!