Marissa Mayer explains why you should try Yahoo
The CEO cites News Digest, Flickr and Weather as services worthy of newbies' attention
IDG News Service - News, email and photo-sharing are some of the most popular services on the Web. Marissa Mayer knows that, and they're some of the reasons she thinks you should try Yahoo.
Yahoo's News Digest app and Flickr are good places to start for people new to Yahoo products, the CEO said Wednesday at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in New York.
She was answering questions on stage from Michael Arrington, who wanted to know, if I'm not already using Yahoo's services today, where should I begin?
It's not a trivial question for Mayer, who is trying to get more people to use Yahoo and make it a more potent rival to Google.
"For the lightweight user who just wants to try and see if they like what they get, I would say try the News Digest," she said. You can throw in Yahoo's new weather app too, Mayer suggested, and for people who want a more substantial service, there's Yahoo Mail.
She was essentially pitching the new and redesigned products Yahoo has rolled out over the past year. The News Digest app, launched in January, provides article summaries that incorporate different elements like quotes, stock prices and Wikipedia excerpts. It may sound disorienting, but the app, Mayer said, has "beauty" and plenty of high-quality editorial content.
Yahoo is in the midst of a reinvention aimed at growing its traffic and revenue. Since Mayer took over as CEO in 2012, she has glommed onto the idea of "daily habits" -- figuring out what people do every day online and building products around it.
Mayer said Wednesday that Yahoo's traffic numbers on mobile devices have doubled, though neither the News Digest nor Yahoo Weather is currently listed in Apple's top 100 free apps. Yahoo Mail, however, is at number 43.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!