Marissa Mayer explains why you should try Yahoo
The CEO cites News Digest, Flickr and Weather as services worthy of newbies' attention
IDG News Service - News, email and photo-sharing are some of the most popular services on the Web. Marissa Mayer knows that, and they're some of the reasons she thinks you should try Yahoo.
Yahoo's News Digest app and Flickr are good places to start for people new to Yahoo products, the CEO said Wednesday at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in New York.
She was answering questions on stage from Michael Arrington, who wanted to know, if I'm not already using Yahoo's services today, where should I begin?
It's not a trivial question for Mayer, who is trying to get more people to use Yahoo and make it a more potent rival to Google.
"For the lightweight user who just wants to try and see if they like what they get, I would say try the News Digest," she said. You can throw in Yahoo's new weather app too, Mayer suggested, and for people who want a more substantial service, there's Yahoo Mail.
She was essentially pitching the new and redesigned products Yahoo has rolled out over the past year. The News Digest app, launched in January, provides article summaries that incorporate different elements like quotes, stock prices and Wikipedia excerpts. It may sound disorienting, but the app, Mayer said, has "beauty" and plenty of high-quality editorial content.
Yahoo is in the midst of a reinvention aimed at growing its traffic and revenue. Since Mayer took over as CEO in 2012, she has glommed onto the idea of "daily habits" -- figuring out what people do every day online and building products around it.
Mayer said Wednesday that Yahoo's traffic numbers on mobile devices have doubled, though neither the News Digest nor Yahoo Weather is currently listed in Apple's top 100 free apps. Yahoo Mail, however, is at number 43.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!