Asus plans wearable device for Q3
Asus expects the company's mobile devices sales to exceed its PC sales by 2017
IDG News Service - Asus may launch its first wearable device in this year's third quarter in line with its growing reliance on devices like smartphones and tablets to drive sales.
The company's CEO Jerry Shen indicated that a wearable product was in the cards on Wednesday during an earnings call. "In the third quarter, we will probably launch a product," he said speaking about Asus' wearables strategy. "This year we are only testing the waters a little bit," Shen added.
The Taiwanese PC maker is among the manufacturers Google is working with on Android-powered watches, the U.S. search giant said in a blog post in March.
But outside its partnership with Google, Asus is looking beyond smartwatches, wristbands and glasses, and eyeing other opportunities in smaller electronic devices, he added.
"In partnering with Google, we will launch some very good products, but we also have more ambitious goals," Shen said.
Asus is already the maker of Google's Nexus 7 tablet, a product that's helped propel the Taiwanese PC maker's sales in mobile devices. Increasingly, the company is breaking out of the PC space, and coming out with tablets, smartphones, and even hybrid devices with the functions of both.
Later this year, the company's new Fonepad devices will help drive its tablet shipments, Shen said. The Fonepad series are tablets that are 6 to 7-inches in size and pack phone calling functions.
The growth means that eventually the company's mobile devices revenue will surpass that of its PC business by 2017, he added.
"This doesn't mean that our PC business will decrease. We are going to sustain revenue growth," Shen said.
Asus still primarily makes most of its revenue from its PCs. In this year's first quarter, 62 percent of the company's revenue came from notebooks, whereas tablets only made up 12 percent.
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!