SAP users hail upcoming support services overhaul
But customers will have to wait and see if SAP's promises pan out, an analyst says
IDG News Service - SAP's recently announced plans to overhaul its support services have user groups giving the thumbs up, although it may be some time before many customers feel a big difference.
Dubbed One Support, the effort is aimed at giving customers a single place to access support whether their problem concerns on-premises or cloud-based software. More than just providing convenience, this approach acknowledges the new complexities customers face as their SAP environments become a hybrid of deployment models.
For example, a customer may log a support ticket for a problem they believe involves their on-premises Business Suite implementation, said Jens Bernotat, vice president of strategy, maintenance go-to-market at SAP. But SAP technicians may investigate and subsequently determine the problem lies with an interface between the Suite and the customer's SuccessFactors application, which is cloud-based, he said.
SAP is also planning to roll out a universal toll-free number for support named Call 1 SAP in this quarter.
Logic and market forces demand a unified support model, according to Augusto Abbarchi, global head of SAP maintenance go-to-market.
"Customers are moving to the cloud to simplify," he said. "They can't accept the idea that getting support then becomes more complex. We think this is what the customer wants and that it's a potential competitive advantage."
Although One Support isn't yet finished from a technical standpoint, SAP user groups praised the announcement.
"I think it makes a lot of sense," said Andreas Oczko, vice chairman of DSAG (German-speaking SAP User Group).
Past acquisitions by SAP, such as Sybase and Business Objects, created a tangle of different support processes depending on the product, he added. "Sometimes it drove the customers mad."
SAP eventually harmonized support processes involving those vendors, but now it needs to do it again given the more recent purchases of SaaS (software-as-a-service) companies such as SuccessFactors, he said.
"This is a great step forward in simplifying customers' support interactions with SAP as more and more customers find themselves operating in a mixed environment of cloud and on-premises," Americas' SAP Users Group CEO Geoff Scott said via email. "SAP is a cloud company. [CEO] Bill McDermott has made that very clear. As such, combining support under one roof is essential to that vision."
One Support also got a nod of approval from the UK & Ireland SAP User Group.
"Naturally we welcome any enhancement to the Enterprise Support service that will help customers adopt the latest innovations from SAP or realise business value from deploying and utilising SAP solutions, regardless of whether they are on-premise, in the cloud or a hybrid of the two," chairman Philip Adams said in a statement.
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts