It's time for spring cleaning in the IT closet
CIO - Successful CIOs seek to hide complexity by creating easy-to-use systems and interfaces. There's a lot to hide. Acquisitions and mergers bring additional systems and processes. New technologies must mesh with existing ones. Business partnerships must be embraced. New products and services must be supported.
Not all complexity is bad, though. For example, companies are moving away from relatively simple, contractual relationships with external business partners and toward more complex relationships that are full of collaboration, knowledge-sharing and innovation, said Arun Rai, a professor at Georgia State University, at a recent meeting of the Society for Information Management's Advanced Practices Council.
But beyond a certain point, more complexity reduces profits, even when revenues increase, says Michael Wade, a professor at IMD business school in Switzerland.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Aberdeen: Securing the Evolving Datacenter This report highlights ways security technologies and services are evolving to provide the visibility and control needed to deploy workloads flexibly in the...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.