R support package unveiled in time for big-data boom
For under $795 a year, Revolution Analytics will answer all R-related questions
IDG News Service - To help organizations get a better handle on the R statistical programming language, which is enjoying a surge in use as a big-data analysis tool, Revolution Analytics has introduced a new support package.
"A lot of companies have put so much investment into collecting data they didn't collect before. The next step after capturing big data is to analyze it," said David Smith, Revolution Analytics' chief community officer and head of the new open source solutions group, explaining why organizations may want to take a closer look at the R language.
"R is the lingua franca of data science," Smith said. The AdviseR support package cost $795 per year, per user.
An open source programming language for conducting statistical analysis and for rendering data-based graphics, R has surged in popularity of late. Revolution Analytics estimated that the language is now used in over 70 percent of all data mining projects. R is particularly widely used in the industries of finance, pharmaceuticals, media and marketing, where it can be used to help guide data-driven business decisions.
Revolution Analytics already offers a commercial grade R distribution, called Revolution R Enterprise (RRE). RRE is tailored for specific duties, such as big data-styled analysis and high performance computing. With the AdviseR package, "We're supporting support to everyone who is using R," Smith said.
R versions 3 and 3.1 are supported in this package. The R base packages are supported as well as many of the most widely used third-party add-on packages.
Revolution Analytics designed the service for organizations that might have used R internally until now, but are seeking to incorporate the language into full-scale production usage.
The package offers live technical support for R, available from Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm in the subscriber's local time zone. The service is available globally -- Revolution Analytics has engineers in the U.S., the U.K. and Singapore.
The telephone support line can help with technical issues such as installing and running R, working with data sources, troubleshooting performance issues, identifying errors and clarifying how features and functions work.
Smith predicted that the service would get a lot of inquiries on around issues that could stem from installing R. "Like a lot of open source software, you will be jumping into the deep end when you start with R," Smith said. Figuring out how to ingest internal data sets may be another area in which the company could provide some assistance.
While R is not a difficult language to learn, "it's not a graphical user interface. You are actually working with code when you work with R," Smith said.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts