SAP after departure of tech chief Sikka: The big questions
Experts say SAP must convince its users that innovation remains a priority
IDG News Service - The abrupt departure of SAP technology chief Vishal Sikka has prompted a number of questions about the vendor's strategy, particularly in regard to the Hana in-memory computing platform, and what it could mean for customers.
There's also some intrigue over what sort of boardroom machinations may have prompted the high profile and widely respected technologist to suddenly leave SAP.
Here's a look at both topics.
SAP needs a new visionary: Sikka is being replaced by Bernd Leukert, a 20-year veteran of SAP who oversaw the porting of SAP's Business Suite ERP (enterprise resource planning) software to Hana.
One of Sikka's roles at SAP was "to act as a C-level evangelist of the technical and business benefits of the technology," said independent enterprise software analyst China Martens via email. "He's fulfilled that role to SAP (and non-SAP) customers and partners as well as to Wall Street (participating in financial analyst calls). There's clearly a need for someone at SAP to continue that mission particularly as the vendor continues to acquire companies and through those purchases reach out to customers new to Hana."
"What SAP has yet to achieve is a successful weaving together of all the technology strands of its strategy -- so how HANA, cloud, mobile, analytics, and social -- all intermesh and where the technologies blur into each other," Martens added.
Leukert's role puts him in charge of the technical workload, but it remains to be seen whether he'll be given as much leeway as Sikka had to tell SAP's story publicly, or if he possesses Sikka's knack for expansive, thematic rhetoric and ability to communicate with the developer crowd.
One SAP user group leader praised Sikka but also hailed Leukert's appointment. "We have been working with [Leukert] a long time," said Marco Lenck, chairman of DSAG (German-speaking SAP User Group), via email. "He is familiar with the concerns of SAP Users. We are looking forward to tackle with him the challenges of the DSAG members and wish him great success in his new role."
No harm to Hana: Sikka's departure shouldn't have any ill effects on Hana from a development standpoint, said Holger Mueller, vice president and principal analyst at Constellation Research. For one thing, "it will not be suffering from 'not invented here' syndrome," he said.
It would also be good if Leukert places more focus on applications that take advantage of Hana's capabilities rather than Hana as a set of platform technologies, as the former is more important to SAP customers, Mueller said.
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- IT Skills Proficiency Tool This tool helps you determine if your team has the right skill sets and what gaps need to be filled. By evaluating your...
- Enabling Unified Service Delivery Management With the nGeniusONE Platform Today's IT organizations manage diverse business services comprising a host of applications running on many server farms within the data center.
- Transform Your Data Center from Basic to Strategic by Increasing Operational Efficiency and Optimizing Intelligence Find out how data center and facilities management are able to use DCIM solutions and a pioneering "zone" approach to bridge the information...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Zoning in on Energy and Physical Infrastructure Management In this Webcast you will learn how to develop and execute a strategy to optimize the energy efficiency of your data center. All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts